FAI Hang Gliding and Paragliding Commission (CIVL)
Category 2 Competitions
Only competitions defined as International Sporting Events or Open National Championships (FAI General Section Chapters 4 & 5) and meeting the requirements below may be sanctioned as CIVL recognised 2nd category events.
- Applications are made online via AMS.
- In order to be recognised as a Category 2 event, a minimum of 25% of the maximum available places must be set aside for pilots from nations other than that of the organiser e.g. if the maximum number is 100, 25 of these places will be set aside for international competitors. The registration deadline for foreign pilots shall be no sooner than 15 days before the start of the competition, after that date unused places can be filled at the discretion of the organiser.
- Only events which have the approval of the NAC of the organiser may be sanctioned as Category 2. If the event is to be held in the territory of another NAC then the organiser must also obtain authorization from that NAC. Proof of this authorization must be submitted to FAI/CIVL with the application form.
- The rules for Second Category events shall be based as far as appropriate on those for First Category events and shall not conflict with them in principle.
For full information on the Rules and requirements for Category 2 sanctioned events, please read the instruction on the Sanctioning procedure and also Section 7 Common, Chapter 12 of the Sporting Code as well as discipline-specific sections.
For any event:
Take care to arrange some webpage where you will announce your event and local regulations. It can be your own website, or a social media event page, or any third party online service. Important is to provide the public with free access to your local regulations and daily results.
The earlier you apply for cat 2 status the earlier you can fill in your registration slots.
In order to be recognised as a Category 2 event a minimum of 25% of the maximum available places must be set aside for pilots from nations other than that of the Competition
Organiser e.g. if the maximum number is 100, 25 of these places will be set aside for international competitors. The registration deadline for foreign pilots shall be no sooner than
- 15 days for events sanctioned between 30 and 60 days before the start of the competition.
- 30 days for events sanctioned between 61 and 90 days before the start of the competition.
- 45 days for events sanctioned between 91 and 120 days before the start of the competition.
- 60 days for events sanctioned 121 days or more before the start of the competition.
After that date, unused places can be filled at the discretion of the Competition Organiser.
For PG Accuracy
Take care to hire CIVL qualified Judges. There are special requirements to the number of judges and their qualifications for Category 2 competitions in Section 7 C. Please read them and abide by.
Take care to provide during the competitions an Automatic Measuring Device (AMD) with dead centre (DC) not more than 2 cm.
For PG Aerobatics
Take care to hire CIVL qualified Judges. Prior to taking any final decision on the dates of competition, and in order to assure the availability of officials and judges, the organiser shall contact the aerobatic committee chairman at firstname.lastname@example.org. In case of no reply within 3 days, forward the request to the competition coordinator at email@example.com
SANCTIONING PROCEDURE FOR CATEGORY 2 COMPETITIONS
to get FAI 2 status the organiser must:
- At least 40 days before the event register on https://ams.fai.org/ and submit the application. (if your NAC is slow to respond begin the application process at least 6 months in advance)
- Sanction fee will be calculated automatically once you fill in the application form. This sanction fee is the equivalent of 1,5 pilot entry fee, with a minimum of 50 euros. (i.e. If your Entry fee is 100 Euro you will need to pay 150 Euro sanction fee).
- Create Invoice in the application and pay it by PayPal inside AMS or by bank transfer using the payment details below. Please upload payment confirmation doc to the application. Or send it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you apply first-time place check with CIVL Competition coordinator email@example.com that your country NAC is connected and given permissions to approve your application on online. If not, download the application form at the top of this page, fill it in sign in your NAC and upload to your application (or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- After you submitted the application and made the payment, CIVL Competition coordinator will check your application for the commitment to the Sporting code requirements. Your will be contacted in case of problems.
- Once approved by the CIVL Competition coordinator you will get an automatic notification when your event will be published on FAI calendar. Please note there is a complicated Cron procedure running at the background, so the event appears on the website about 6-10 hours after you get the notification. It also takes some time for financial control and approval between the approval of CIVL and publication to the calendar. CIVL is aware of this delay and works hard to minimize this period.
This will enable the event to appear on the FAI calendar and be sanctioned as a Category 2 event.
CANCELLATION & RESERVE DATES
If an event is cancelled and all pilots are given the opportunity of a full refund, it can be rescheduled (no extra sanction fee) provided that the minimum 30 days notice is given. The time period is measured from the start date of the re-scheduled competition. In case of cancellation and prior notice, the sanction fee can be refunded minimum the administrative fee of 50 euro.
An organiser may specify several sets of dates, the Alternative or Reserve Dates for the competition. These may be used if the organiser postpones the competition prior to the event taking place, or if it was not possible to start any tasks during the event (i.e. no pilots launched under competition conditions). The 'reserve dates' will be displayed on the FAI event calendar in addition to the primary Competition Dates. This is subject to the following conditions:
- The organiser notifies the CIVL Competitions Coordinator as soon as the competition is postponed, and at the latest within 48hrs of the end date of the competition (this is so the FAI calendar is updated to show that the Reserve Dates are now the actual Competition Dates).
- Any pilot who is unable to attend the reserve dates is entitled to a full refund of any entry fee paid.
WORLD PILOT RANKING SCHEME
Category 2 events will gain WPRS points for pilots competing in accordance with current WPRS rules.
There are currently 8 rankings: HG Class 1, HG Class 1 Sport Class, HG Class 2, HG Class 5, HG Aerobatics, PG XC, PG Accuracy, PG Aerobatics. For further information on the WPRS and formulas, go to http://civlrankings.fai.org/?a=304&;
1. The minimum number of competitors required to validate a Second Category event is:
- Paragliding and Hang gliding XC: 2.
- Paragliding Accuracy: 8
- Paragliding Aerobatics: 2
2. The maximum number of pilots in any sanctioned competition must not exceed 150.
- Paragliding and Hang gliding XC: 1 scored task
- Paragliding Accuracy: 1 scored round
- Paragliding Aerobatics: 1 scored runs
A complete set of results in an approved format must be sent to the CIVL Competition Co-ordinator within 7 days of the end of the competition for updating the appropriate Pilot Ranking Scheme. Please confirm the number of valid tasks/rounds flown. Organisers must indicate in the results the pilots holding a valid FAI Sporting Licence.
A preferred format for HG and PG XC competitions is FSDB file. If the organizer does not use FS as their scoring system, then the results need to be submitted using the Excel template (download it below or in Documents section).
For PG Accuracy & Aerobatics, an Excel file following our template is the preferred file (find the Excel template here) and Excel or CSV files are acceptable (.xls or .csv) with the results in the following column order :
- Name (First name followed by family name as it appears in the CIVL database)
- Nation (IOC abbreviated codes)
- Total (score)
- Valid_FAI_licence (1 for valid / 0 for not valid)
- CIVL Pilot_ID (available from the WPRS ranking database )
Please note: HTML and PDF files are NOT acceptable.
INCIDENT REPORT FORM
When submitting results, organisers are required to inform CIVL of any incidents that occurred at the event. Organisers are requested to ensure that for any incident involving a reserve parachute deployment, or that required medical intervention or where a rescue service or external assistance was involved, that an Incident Report Form is completed. The form is available for online completion on the WPRS site. Go to ‘Login’ and follow the instructions if you do not already have a login. Incidents can be reported by the organiser/meet director, safety director, team leader, witness or by the pilot. More than one person can report on the same incident.
CATEGORY 2 COMPETITION SANCTIONING - METHODS OF PAYMENT:
Please keep the payment receipt or screenshot to send it to Competition Coordinator together with the application. The sanction fee will be paid in Euros only and directly to FAI; there are 3 ways to pay:
1. Paypal: The simplest and fastest method of payment is by Paypal. To use Paypal please go to your application in https://ams.fai.org/ creat the invoice, re-open it and make the payment. Anyone with a credit card can may a payment using Paypal.
2. Bank Transfer: The procedures must be strictly observed; otherwise, delays or additional bank charges may occur, or the transfer may fail. Please read the information in the following link carefully, it describes what an IBAN number is:
Essentially, the Bank clearing code (SWIFT/BIC) and IBAN code must always be included.
Here are the full banking references, which must be used for all payments:
Credit Suisse Private Banking
Rue du Lion d'Or 5-7
Case postale 2468
CH - 1002 Lausanne
SWIFT/BIC Code: CRES CHZZ 80A
Account name: FAI-CIVL Fédération Aéronautique Internationale
IBAN code: CH63 0483 5045 7968 3200 6
NOTE: For the faster procedure, it is very important to write full IBAN - CH63 0483 5045 7968 3200 6. Do not forget "6" at the end
Please reference the payment as follows:
- Category 2 sanction fee,
- Name and date of event.
- Discipline involved (hang gliding (Class 1, 2, 5 and/or Sports Class), paragliding, paragliding accuracy, aerobatics).
If required by your bank, the FAI Office address is :
Maison du Sport International, Av. de Rhodanie 54, CH-1007 – Lausanne, Switzerland
3. Credit card: You can pay by credit card direct to the FAI. The credit card details can be e-mailed to Cosette Mast at: www.fai.org/civl-contact-us (at your own risk – we do not recommend that you do it) - Tel: +41 21 345 1070 - Fax: +41 21 345 1077.
Details required for a credit card payment:
Type of Card (Visa and Mastercard are accepted)
CVV2 number (security code)
Name on card
Sum to be debited
Payment Reference (eg. Cat 2 SF + name & date of event)
Signature (if faxed)
Name of signatory